Transactional Real Estate
BartkoZankel handles the full range of real estate matters for clients, including tenants, property owners and commercial developers nationwide. We have extensive experience with real estate financing, ground leasing, retail, industrial, office and outlet leasing, real property acquisitions, commercial and industrial construction projects, environmental assessment analysis, title review, architecture and construction contracts, reciprocal easement agreements, lease restructuring and disposition, operating expense analysis, and tenant-in-common agreements.
We have one of the strongest retail leasing practice groups in the country, representing Ross Dress For Less (including dd’s Discount), H & M, Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance, Gymboree (including Janie & Jack and Crazy 8), Gap (including Old Navy, Banana Republic, Athleta and Piperlime), Nike (including Cole Haan, Converse and Hurley), PetSmart, Ralph Lauren, Fresh Market and Charlotte Russe. Our retail services cover every facet of the retail real estate industry, including negotiation of retail leases and lease-related documents for stores; drafting of purchase, development and construction agreements for corporate headquarters and distribution centers; and title and environmental analysis.
We have deep experience with the major issues relating to commercial leasing, including the pass-through of operating and capital expenses and costs associated with compliance laws; property tax reassessments and the impact of real property tax issues on lease transactions; the role of the real property secured lender in an owner’s leasing program; the consequences of bankruptcy in commercial lease transactions including strategies for both landlords and tenants; the impact of environmental regulations and the presence of hazardous materials on lease transactions; security and premises liability issues; and contractual remedies and unlawful detainer procedures in commercial lease disputes.
Recent accomplishments include:
- Negotiation of retail leases throughout the U.S. for over 100 million square feet for our retail clients
- Negotiation of the H&M flagship stores in Las Vegas, Nevada, Dallas, Texas, Miami, Florida and Denver, Colorado
- Representation of Nike and Converse for their flagship store leases in Dallas, Texas, Portland, Oregon, San Francisco, California and Santa Monica, California.
- Negotiation of nearly all of the leases for the bricks-and-mortar rollout of Athleta
- Negotiation of the New York flagship store for Piperlime
- Coordination of all legal work for the land use planning, acquisition, financing and development of three regional distribution centers totaling over 3,800,000 square feet for a major publicly held company
Our attorneys include:
- 4 former Associate General Counsels of the Gap, Inc.
- a former inhouse attorney of Gymboree
- a former director of Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) San Francisco
- 2 former chairpersons of the San Francisco Real Estate Roundtable
The Transactional Real Estate attorneys have authored many publications relating to commercial leasing, including a leading primer, Negotiating Commercial Real Estate Leases. We have been speakers about retail leasing, reciprocal easement agreements, and purchases and sales agreements at the ICSC Law Conference, the Practicing Law Institute (PLI), CLE International, Real Property Retreat of the State Bar of California, the State Bar Education Institute, the Commercial Real Estate Institute, the PLI Retail Leasing Conference, and the California Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB).
We are active members of:
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA)
- San Francisco Real Estate Roundtable