Martin I. Zankel
University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D. 1974
University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Finance and Commerce, B.S., 1955
- Transactional Real Estate
- Complex Transactions including Commercial Leases
- Corporate and Property Acquisitions
- Real Estate Investment Trusts
- Joint Ventures
- Partnerships and Financial Workouts
Martin Zankel is Emeritus Counsel of BartkoZankel. With a specialization in large, multifaceted property transactions, Martin has represented national retailers in major acquisitions as well as real estate developers and investors. He was instrumental in managing a $450,000,000 institutional joint venture for a developer and in the $2,000,000,000 restructuring of equity and lending interests with an institutional lender on behalf of a real estate investor-developer.
Mr. Zankel’s expertise extends to the efficient sale and acquisition of business entities. He possesses extensive experience in navigating clients through structurally complex acquisition transactions, including representing the sellers in the sale of a major West Coast auction house and a Fortune 500 company.
Mr. Zankel has managed the acquisition financing of a $300,000,000 package of secured loans for a real estate company and was instrumental in the re-financing of this loan two years later.
His broad skills in the real estate industry include the management of the phase-out of a store division for a retail client who elected to close twenty-eight stores in a single geographic market.
Mr. Zankel talent and command of real estate is demonstrated in his book Negotiating Commercial Real Estate Leases, published by Mesa House Publishing, 2001, and other articles published in real estate and legal journals.
- State Bar of California (Real Property Law Section)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- American Bar Association (Section of Real Property Probate and Trust Law, Commercial Leasing Committee)
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Urban Land Institute
- Past President, Berkeley Repertory Theater Board of Directors
- Member, Board of Trustees, NPR Foundation
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Hastings College of the Law, University of California, San Francisco
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Miami Law School, Masters Program in Real Estate Development Law
Other Business Experience
- Chairman of the Board, Landsing Pacific Fund (ASE:LPF)
- Member of Board of Directors, Bedford Property Investors, Inc. (NYSE:BED)
- Managing Member, Zoro, LLC, owner of major San Francisco multimedia complex