Theani C. Louskos
University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D., 1980
Indiana University, B.A., 1973
Transactional Real Estate
Complex Business Transactions
Commercial Real Estate Transactions including:
the Purchase, Sale, Financing, and Leasing of Retail Office and Industrial Properties
Ms. Louskos specializes in commercial real estate transactions including the purchase and sale, financing, and leasing of retail, office, and industrial properties and represents clients in a broad range of business transactions.
Ms. Louskos began her practice in 1981. She represents both landlords and tenants in commercial leasing matters and has drafted and negotiated office, retail, industrial, and restaurant leases. Ms. Louskos specializes in the representation of national retail tenants including Ross Dress For Less, Inc., Old Navy, The Gap, and DSW Shoes. She has negotiated over two hundred major retail leases over the past two years.
Ms. Louskos recently represented Ross Dress For Less, Inc. in the bulk acquisition of 37 retail leases from Albertson’s, and recently represented a national retailer in the negotiation of an industrial lease for a 423,000 square foot warehouse and distribution facility.
Ms. Louskos has represented institutional lenders and borrowers in financing office, industrial, retail, and residential projects throughout the United States. She has handled all aspects of these transactions, including the drafting and negotiation of loan and loan defeasance documentation, preparation of legal opinions involving secured transactions, review of title matters, and due diligence review. Ms. Louskos handles real estate loan workouts and has represented clients in negotiating loan restructures and discounted payoffs with commercial lenders.
Ms. Louskos has handled major real estate acquisitions and sales on behalf of national retailers, developers, syndicators, and REITs.
Ms. Louskos has formed various business entities and joint ventures and drafted and negotiated shareholder and partnership agreements and operating agreements for limited liability companies. She represents clients in the acquisition and sale of business and assets and counsels business clients in connection with a variety of commercial contracts.
- Representation of Ross Dress For Less, Inc. in leasing and real estate transactions, representation of Old Navy and The Gap in retail leasing matters, and representation of Gymboree in real estate and business transactions.
- Representation of landlord of largest high rise multimedia building in San Francisco in complex lease negotiations with a rental value of approximately $50 million.
- Representation of national retailer in sale of multi-store retail chain.
- Closing of over $1 billion in real estate loans representing both lenders and borrowers, including financing of the Avco Center, Los Angeles; Clift Hotel, San Francisco; 1700 California Street, San Francisco; Capitol Mall, Sacramento.
- Representation of joint venture partner in negotiation and closing of the $157 million financing commitment for the Apple Computer headquarters.
- Restructuring of $100 million of debt on behalf of East Bay real estate syndicator.
- Representation of construction lender in financing of multiple apartment projects by A. G. Spanos Construction throughout the United States.
- Representation of TGI Friday’s in franchisee loan restructuring.
- Representation of Bedford Property Investors in real estate acquisitions.
- Representation of developers in negotiation of loan workouts and loan forbearance agreements.
- Speaker on Retail Leasing for the Practicing Law Institute’s program on Negotiating
- Commercial Leases (2001 – 2006)
- Speaker on Reciprocal Easement Agreements for the Practicing Law Institute’s Commercial Real Estate Institute (2006)
- Speaker on Retail Leasing at the Negotiating Leases Conference presented by CLE International (2002, 2005, and 2007)
- Moderator and panelist for the Real Property Purchase and Sale Agreement program presented by Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) and the State Bar Real Property Law Section (2002, 2004, and 2006)
- Speaker on Leasing Basics for the State Bar of California Education Institute (2007)
- Author of article on Unique Issues and Major Differences between Retail and Office Leasing, Spring 2004 edition of the California Real Property Law Journal published by the State Bar of California
- Coauthor of Chapter on the Lawyer’s Role in Real Property Sales, California Real Property Sales Transactions, published by CEB (2007)
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers. Member, Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW), San Francisco